Sunday, December 17, 2006

odyssey - jack mcDevitt

OK - on a lighter note. It has been awhile since I have read a Science Fiction novel but I recently picked up "odyssey" by jack mcDevitt and although I haven't finished reading it yet, I find it some what fascinating and thought provoking. It takes place in the late 23rd century when space travel has become common place and global warming has not yet destroyed life on earth but is having a serious impact on the climate and the debates in the political arena have to do with the spending priorities of the governing bodies. In the mean time, there has not been any contact with an advanced civilization but there is evidence that they did exist at one time but are now extinct. But there are some strange and unexplained events that could be evidence of existing intelligent and technologically advanced life forms. The "origins project" is an ambitious project in outer space that is trying to determine the origin of the universe, but will it destroy the universe instead? Can it be stopped before that happens. I will stop now before I give away any more of the plot.

No comments: